100x100.crop[6].jpg An Invitation to Salvation

Romans 11:36

Step 1: What am I ?

I know that I am divided into visible and invisible parts. The visible part is the flesh and the invisible part is the soul.

The soul consists of conscience, intuition and a spiritual component that allows us to recognize God. It cannot be seen by our eyes because it is a thought, a feeling or a will.

In other words, the flesh, or body, is a shape that can be seen as a physical form and is destined to return to the soil in its time.

However, my soul exists as “me” even though we cannot see it. The soul in me dwells in the house of the physical body.

The bible says that the human being has two shapes.

One is the earthly body that we can see, called the "flesh," and the other is the unseen spiritual body I call “me.” The flesh is temporary but the soul is eternal.

How did I come to be here today? I have come here by following the movement of the hands, legs and eyes - commanded by the spirit.

So the visible world is subject to be dominated by the invisible world, and based on this concept, the invisible spirit is the real “me.”

The bible talks about the structure of the human body.

In Genesis 1:26 it states, “Then God said, Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,” and in Genesis 2:7, “the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and the man became a living being.”

There has never been a statement made by any religious leader insisting that he himself made and created both human beings and the world. But the bible clearly states that our God created both human beings and the world. Who can deny the reality that all human beings are destined to return to the ground once they die?

This is what we call death; our body was sculpted from the earth and because of this, we live by the nutrition acquired from the earth, live on the surface of the earth and finally our body goes back to the earth. Afterwards, the soul that God created in His own image will go back to God.

I can close my eyes and visit my old house which I left long ago through spirit and thought, yet it would take several years if I visit there by flesh and foot.

We can realize even at this time that we will be living at this velocity in the spiritual world apart from the world of the flesh.

Who am I? This is who I am.

My owner is not myself.

I am a being with the ability to see outside, recognizing and distinguishing the objects of the world while I am inside of my body.

We can feel and discern that there are three worlds. The first is the world of particles, the second is the world of reality and the third is the world of the 4-dimensional universe.

The world of particles is not visible to the eyes but no one can deny the existence of DNA, elements or particles with the argument that they cannot see it. There is a galaxy located one hundred million light years away from the earth that we can see, but cannot reach. The world of this galaxy cannot be repudiated either.

This sort of existence is “me.”

Step 2 : Where did I come from?

I came out of my mother’s belly. I have not come to this world by my own will.

When I came into the world, I was in Osaka, Japan and I happened to be the fifth child of the Chung household. I was living in my mother’s stomach before I was born and I do not know who arranged the time and place of my birth. I was planning on living in my mother’s comfortable belly for a long time, but one day I was brought out to the external world.

I had thought I would simply remain in the belly forever. Being conceived and coming out to the earth had nothing to do with my own will. Everything was processed out of my control.

I had no knowledge of this outside world while I was in my mother’s belly. Then suddenly, I was gazing upon strange and unfamiliar faces telling me that I was their son and that they were the father and mother who gave life to me. And they loved me.

Step 3 : Where will I go?

There is a song called “Life is the Wayfarer’s Path; Where Do We Come From and Where Do We Go?” sung by Hee Joon Choi.

Yes, we all come from someplace and are headed somewhere. We say goodbye because people perpetually come and go.

It is an incontrovertible fact that during the course of our lives, there come times when we must go our separate ways. Who can dispute the reality that the person we conversed with last week has departed to another location through the phenomenon called death?

Even Emperor Qinshihuangdi of the Chinese dynasty had to depart from this earth despite his efforts to discover an elixir of immortality.

Step 4 : God who resides outside the world

Our lives parallel the life of the wayfarer, who sojourns briefly and must promptly leave. However, while there are those who realize that we live the life of the wayfarer and will eventually arrive at our homeland, there are also those who do not realize this and will, therefore, endeavor to leave something behind in the life that they believe is their last.

Where am I standing now?

Is simply working, studying, raising a family and pursuing happiness truly our priority?

Is it not much more important and urgent that we figure out that this is not all there is to life and to find out where we need to go?

Are people entirely mistaken when they believe that there is a specific road they must walk on to reach their destination?

Or are they more deluded if they simply disregard it with the justification that such is the way for those who simply need to be comforted?

Do I really have strong enough evidence to judge and disregard the confident hopes that other people have as meaningless?

Will I will benefit from this game of probability?

When you fail at something in this world, you will always have the opportunity for a second chance. As for the spiritual or eternal world, that luxury does not exist.

When you look into the interior mechanism of a pocket watch, you can see a myriad of individual parts that work together without interference. But could they continue to exist and work by themselves? The power for its operation lies in the hands of the horologist, who winds the clock in order that the individual parts may work with a mutual end goal.

One of the parts says, “We are cooperating with each other without interference or instruction, therefore we can work this way forever.”

However, what will happen if the horologist ceases to wind the spring? The clock is frozen and it becomes a useless collection of metal.

We who live in this century are like the parts inside the pocket watch.

We must know that there is a creator and a transcendental God out there. No matter how much we proclaim and argue that there is no God who created this world, our voices would be like an echo with no sound as they would not have any effect on what is a fact.

What is the difference between the parts of the pocket watch neglecting the existence of the horologist and the people who attempt to refute that there is no God who created and controls the laws of the universe?

Therefore, the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 49:20, “A man who has riches without understanding is like the beasts that perish.”

Step 5 : Changing Stage

I looked into the life of a fly.

Egg - larvae – maggot – pupa – fly.

This is the transitional stages of the fly during its lifetime.

But how could those writhing maggots possibly know that they are in the process of a changing stage that will take them to a new life in the sky as flies?

Even if a maggot denies this reality it will become a fly in the future—it will not prevent it from changing into one.

We who have longer lives than that of a fly already know as a fact and a truth that the maggot will eventually turn into a fly and that it will take to the sky. People say that everything is over when they die and they inquire how there could be a heaven and a hell beyond the changing stage of death. They say that there is no God who exists outside of this world, but just because they say so does not change what is the truth.

Just as we can see and know the life of a fly, when God looks down at our lives, life after death is an undeniable reality. And not only God, but this reality can also be known from the testimonies of the people who have experienced this.

Step 6 : I was born in sin.

Hebrews 9:7 says, “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment….”

It would be nice and convenient if we simply disappeared after returning to the ground, but what unsettles us is that we possess these things called souls. What people are afraid of today is the uncertainty of the future.

Things that happen after death are also something uncertain because it is in and of the future.

What is going to happen when we die? Do heaven and hell really exist for the Christians?

Romans 3:23 reminds us that, “…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

The bible states that we all are born with sin that we inherited from our father, which is called the "original sin."

Because man is born as a sinner, he starts to commit sin as he grows up. The results of sin are anxiety, imprisonment and death.

Who can solve the problem of sin and set us free from it?

This is why Romans 6:23 says, “For the wages of sin is death.”

Let anyone who is not a sinner raise his hand. No one in the world would say that they are free of sin.

Hence, the bible states clearly that there will be judgment after death and that the destination of any spirit who hasn’t solved the problem of sin is hell.

Step 7 : A prescription for judgment

Sin causes death and the judgment that comes after it is inevitable.

People argue that there is no way that could be true, that everything is over when they die.

But the truth is, those people stubbornly stand their ground because they are insecure about the future—their denial rises from anxiety and uncertainty that eat away at their hearts.

John 3:16 says that, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

This message is the prescription that God the Savior has made for humans.

Romans 5:8 affirms that, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

For the sake of our incurable sin, the God of love Himself became a human and came to this earth as His own son. He then died on the cross because of our sins, resurrected and ascended to heaven.

Ants are moving in a field.

But there is a big tractor rolling towards them from the opposite side.

In a moment, the fates of these ants will be sealed.

A dog that is passing by notices what is happening and barks and howls to warn the ants, but they cannot understand.

Is there not another solution?

The solution is for the dog to become an ant and tell them of their impending danger in a language that ants can understand.

Likewise, Jesus came to this world as a man to tell us that the kingdom of heaven is near.

Now there is no one who must go to hell because of sin. Things have become simplified.

Now only those who do not believe that Jesus Christ has solved the problem of sin for us, will go to hell.

In John 14:6, Jesus tells us that, “‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”

Step 8 : Love your life

Today, I hereby proclaim emphatically to everyone who is living: “You must love your life.”

We must treasure our one and only life and obtain eternal life by believing in Jesus Christ.

Someone will ask, “Who does not love himself?”

However, I am not talking about your physical life, but the eternal life that comes after your death.

Many people are not interested in the eternal life and continually indulge in their practical lives, leaving their eternal lives to the fate of hell.

A life without Jesus is a forsaken life destined for destruction.

Is this true? If it was not, it would be fortunate. However, if the Christians’ claim that those without Jesus will go to hell is true, then where can those that deny this stand?

If you are wise, then you should take this into serious consideration and invest your time so that you may take the path that will be redemptive.

2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.”

The reason they cannot accept God is that they are neglecting that He is the creator of the world as they stand against Him brandishing their own incorrigible theories. They resist, saying that they will believe God if we show Him to them.

But in Romans 1:20, the Paul tells us that, “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.”

If nothing else, we can know God through His creations—the sky, earth, radio waves, air, DNA, etc….

In other words, we have to know, believe and confess the existence God by looking at the world He has formed.

Was there anyone who claimed the copyright of creating a leaf that blows around in the wind?

There was not and it is not a possibility.

Dear Brothers, I want you to know that declaring that you are unable to believe in God because you cannot see or touch Him is not an excuse.

Dear Brothers, Do you believe in the internet that we can neither see with our eyes nor hold with our hands?

No doubt you believe in this internet that enables us to share all kinds of information worldwide without restriction of time and space.

Looking at the mystery of the internet world, I can be assured that there is a God who controls it along with everything else.

1 Corinthians 1:21 says, “For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.”

There are many foolish people that surround you who have heard God’s word eagerly longing for you to join in on their promise of eternal life. They are desperately trying to convice you of the true value of eternal life.

Step 9 : An important question

Let’s suppose that your life is about to end right now.

Even though it is only hypothetical, we are destined to meet this end in the long run. We must let everything go and depart to an entirely uncertain place, leaving our loved ones behind.

However, Christians are not afraid of this moment. In fact, they are full of hope at the thought of it.

I would like to ask the brother who has been denying Jesus and depending on himself.

Are you going to deny the existence of the heaven and hell that those Christians are so certain about to the minute of your death? If Christians came to you once again and pleaded with you to believe in Jesus Christ, do you really have no intention of believing?

Will you hold onto your obstinacy and continue on the path that will destroy you?

Even now our Savior Jesus Christ is calling out to you.

What will you do?

Are you planning on considering the problem of the afterlife once you get there?

Step 10 : Testimony A

On November 12th, 1989, I went to visit a brother called Hak Hoon Kim at the Pomerado Hospital upon hearing that he was suffering from liver cancer. I had never met him before.

He came to the United States to study early in his life, and was successful after graduating. He built a house on a five-acre plot of land and lived a fulfilling life.

He never needed God’s help. But one day, he was diagnosed with late-stage liver cancer.

He had been in the hospital for three months when I visited him.

He eyes were out of focus and his pupils were vague. He did not look like he had much longer to live.

I told him, "brother, our God has sent me today because he loves you. Although your body is fading away, your spirit will never die. You might not accept that you are a sinner but our sins will drive us to hell. Believe in Jesus. He carried our sin, died for our sakes, was resurrected and now resides in heaven.

Jesus is waiting for you to join him in heaven.

You can meet him there if you accept and confess that He is your Savior.”

He was moved to tears. Everyone in the room cried tears of gratitude with him as they clapped.

“Brother Kim, please follow my prayer in your heart.” Although he was weary, he followed my prayer with his dried lips.

It was a prayer of confession that Jesus Christ is his Savior. I was confident he was saved that day.

I got a phone call the next day saying, “He has gone to heaven…”

Testimony B

When I was a senior in High School. I remember carrying around my dying father on my back trying to find a hospital for him, but none would accept him. After hearing of the free Virgin Mary Hospital at city of Choonchun, I boarded the Choonchun bound train with my father. The train was full of people and baggage and stopped at every station. We arrived at Choonchun late in the evening so we had to find a cheap inn for the night and headed for the hospital in the morning. After the examination, the doctor informed me that my father’s condition was hopeless and to take him home.

It was a sad and depressing road back home. While we were waiting for the bus, I said to my father, “Father, I have a wish.”

My father replied, “How can I grant you a wish while I am dying?”

And I said, “Father, my wish is for you to go to heaven by believing in Jesus.”

After thinking about it he said, “If that is your wish, there is no reason why I can’t listen. I will believe in the Jesus that you believe in.” And he asked me how he could believe Jesus in order that he may go to heaven.

After arriving at home, I invited my pastor to come speak to my father. My father accepted Jesus Christ and became a Christian that day. Three days later, while my father was holding my mother’s hands, he told my mother to believe Jesus Christ too so that they could meet again in heaven.

Those were his last words. I have no doubt that both of them have been reunited in heaven and are praying for me right now.

Testimony C

A father of four sons was living the final day of his life. Hearing this news, his sons hastily gathered around him. Their father went around saying farewell to each of them.

“My eldest son! Thank you for coming. I wonder when we will meet again in heaven!”

“My second son, it looks like we will be apart for the time being. Be well and let your faith never falter!”

“Father, do not worry. I will definitely meet you in heaven.”

“My third son, I do not feel so distressed because I will see you again in heaven.” Then he took the hand of his fourth son and said, “My beloved fourth son, this will be the last time we see each other. I wish I could see you again, but the roads we are going are so different that the thought of never seeing you again breaks my heart. Good bye my son!”

The fourth son became disturbed at his father’s words and was overcome with grief that he would be the only one who would never see his father again. He felt that he must, as his father's son, grant his father his dying wish.

“Father!” he cried, “I want to meet you again like my brothers. I will accept the Jesus Christ that you have believed in your entire life. I will become a Christian.”

At his confession, the father gave a prayer of thanks.

“God! Thank you for granting my wish in my last minute! Now I can go to you in joy.”

Testimony D

This is a story about a Doctor named Park whose job is to declare and verify patients as dead at Yeon Sei Medical College.

While he watched the final moments of 50 patients, he discovered something strange.

There was a huge difference between the way Christians and non-Christians died. He decided that based on this difference, it was worth finding out what Christianity was all about.

Though many normal people breathed their last trembling with fear with terrified and weary expressions on their faces, Christians died in peace and he even saw some of them calmly saying farewell to family members.

In other words, he saw that non-believers’ horror-struck faces looked as if they were being dragged into a void by something.

When I watched my Christian father in his deathbed, I saw him breathe his last breath with a serene face.

Christians and non-Christians might live similar lives in this world, but there are taking two different paths into the afterlife.

Step 11 : The time that God has given to humans

My beloved brothers and sisters! There was an order in how the world was born, but there will be no order when it dies. If we do not solve the problem of sin while we are still here, our destination is hell. There is no use in trying to redeem ourselves when we get there and realize we were on the wrong path. Similarly, the bus will not come back for you if you miss it. The God who created you has only given you a limited time on this earth.

Unlike the beasts, we as humans are able to understand that we were not born into this world by our own will but by God’s and that he has allotted each of us a specific amount of time to dwell here.

We will have to pay the consequences if we squander the precious time that God has given us by eating, sleeping, indulging in temporary pursuits while disregarding the one who has allowed us to enjoy such lives.

The reason God has given us time is that we may use it to meet and believe Jesus Christ who will solve the problem of our sins.

Hence, what kind of people must we become?

Where can we stand that we may be acknowledged as wise?

Are our pride and dogmas really worth continuing to turn down the testimony of Christians without any proof of our own?

These are some things we must contemplate.

Step 12 : Invitation to salvation

Today, God is inviting you to get on the train of salvation through his words of salvation.

If you resist at this time, you may never get another chance to catch this train again.

Opportunities don’t always wait for you.

John 1:12 says that, “Yet to all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.”

Becoming a child of God is truly something amazing—even something unbelievable for it is not tangible or visible.

Then why do others who were in the same situation as you accept and believe in God after hearing the same gospel from the same evangelist?

Do you think they are odd because they believe in something invisible and intangible?

Or are you doubtful that something so incredible could be attained without a price?

In Ephesians 2:8, Paul explains that, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.”

Dear brothers and sisters, although you are still hesitant, open up your hearts and experience the gift of God first hand.

Try believing in something outside of the world’s logic and reason.

While seeking a successor to his inheritance before his death, a rich man spotted a beggar in the street.

Giving the beggar his address on a piece of paper, the rich man told him he would give him ten million dollars if he came to see him at the address.

Now the beggar considered this offer with the paper in his hand, and the more he thought about it, the angrier he became.

No matter how poor he was, how could he be disrespected like this by an insolent rich man and his games! So the ticket to ten million dollars was ripped apart and carried away by the wind.

Why couldn’t the beggar see the offer as legitimate? This was because it was not logical or realistic.

Some are unable to believe the message that leads to eternal life because it came from an insignificant evangelist.

Just like the beggar was unable to grasp the potential fortune, must you be the same?

Ask yourself again.

Romans 10:9-10 says, “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.”

The door to your heart cannot be opened by anyone from the outside. This door can only be opened from the inside by you.

Dear brothers and sisters, please do not judge through your own meager experiences and knowledge.

Please do not depend on the things that have been controlling your life until now.

All of those things will abandon you when you stand on the threshold of death and are on the crossroads to heaven and hell.

Dear brothers and sisters,

Right now, God wants to call you His child.

He is inviting you towards the path to heaven.

Why do you hesitate to take the path? Try putting your trust in God.

Everything you have lived for—your reputation, money, power or pride—cannot guarantee you an eternal life. At this time, if you would like to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior, raise your hand and follow along with the prayer of the Christians.

“Gracious Father God in Heaven, I confess that I have lived my life my way and for my satisfaction. I have floated along with the wind, not knowing where I came from or where I was going, unaware that I was flying towards my doom.

After hearing Your words of salvation, I have come to realize that I am a sinner and I believe that because of my sin Your son Jesus Christ died on the cross for me and was then resurrected.

I believe that You are my Savior and that I am now Your child.

Lord, thank you for calling on me and saving me.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

I wrote this filled with the Holy Spirit praying that all those who read it may come to believe that Jesus Christ is their Savior and receive the gift of eternal life.

Written by Shadrach Chung pastor. kvmchurch7@hotmail.com

In an attic in San Diego CA July 20 2011.

Translator Rev Whang Sun Min